Patents by Inventor Stephen Robertson

Stephen Robertson has filed for patents to protect the following inventions. This listing includes patent applications that are pending as well as patents that have already been granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).

  • Patent number: 10520272
    Abstract: Openings in a muzzle brake provide recoil inhibition and impulse noise attenuation by redirecting the propellant gases to the external environment. A turning vane aggressively turns and redirects the propellant gases in a rearward direction to counter the recoil of the weapon system. An angled baffle provides a physical barrier to redirect propellant gases rearward to provide additional force to counteract the recoil force. Attenuation slits mitigate blast overpressure by producing a fluid barrier of high velocity propellant gases directed radially away from the muzzle brake. The fluid barrier from the attenuation slits interacts with the redirected propellant gas from the turning vane and the angled baffle and redirects the counter recoil gases away from the crew.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: March 23, 2018
    Date of Patent: December 31, 2019
    Assignee: The United States of America as Represented by the Secretary of the Army
    Inventors: Robert Carson, David Marshall, Tyler Bellamy, Stephen Robertson
  • Publication number: 20190368446
    Abstract: In accordance with the present invention, there are provided simplified systems and methods for catalytically deactivating, removing, or reducing the levels of reactive component(s) from the vapor phase of fuel storage tanks. The simple apparatus described herein can be utilized to replace complex OBIGGS systems on the market. Simply stated, in one embodiment of the invention, the vapor phase from the fuel tank is passed over a catalytic bed operated at appropriate temperatures to allow the reaction between free oxygen and the fuel vapor by oxidation of the fuel vapor, thus deactivating reactive component(s) in the gas phase.
    Type: Application
    Filed: August 16, 2019
    Publication date: December 5, 2019
    Inventors: Stephen Walker, Santosh Limaye, Wesley Jung, Stuart Robertson
  • Publication number: 20190282325
    Abstract: A biopsy site marker configured to expand upon deployment into a biopsy cavity, and visible under several different imaging modalities, comprises a superabsorbent hydrogel component and a radiopaque element. The hydrogel is in a compressed, dehydrated state prior to deployment to facilitate placement of the marker within the biopsy site, and thereafter expands upon deployment in the biopsy site. Such expansion limits migration of the site marker.
    Type: Application
    Filed: September 27, 2017
    Publication date: September 19, 2019
    Applicant: HOLOGIC, INC.
    Inventors: Estefania ALVAREZ, Adam KOZAK, Jaimee ROBERTSON, Stephen SPIEGELBERG
  • Patent number: 10392888
    Abstract: Apparatus and adapter are usable for aligning downhole torch apparatuses and cutting devices, including axial pyro torches, circulating pyro torches, and radial cutting and perforating torches, within a wellbore for removal of one or more downhole obstructions. The torch and/or cutting apparatus comprises a body having a nozzle adapted to project a fuel load, such as molten thermite or molten thermite with a polymer, in a direction aligned with the obstruction. The adapter comprises protruding elements for eliminating or diminishing damage to the area surrounding the obstruction, including the inner walls of the wellbore and/or casing, and can further comprise centralizers for alignment of the apparatus with the obstruction, within the wellbore.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: August 29, 2016
    Date of Patent: August 27, 2019
    Assignee: ROBERTSON INTELLECTUAL PROPERTIES, LLC
    Inventors: Michael C. Robertson, Antony F. Grattan, Douglas J. Streibich, Amy Stephens, William F. Boelte, Cory Huggins
  • Patent number: 10379311
    Abstract: An over-molded multi-optical ribbon fiber assembly comprises a housing over-mold including a middle section having first and second ends that branch into first legs and second legs, respectively. The assembly further comprises multiple sets of optical fibers. The optical fibers of all of the sets extend through the middle section as individual optical fibers in a non-ribbon fiber, stacked configuration. The optical fibers of each set further: extend through a respective first leg and a respective second leg of the housing; extend past a free-end of the respective first leg, and transition to a respective first ribbon fiber outside of the housing; and extend past a free-end of the respective second leg, and transition to a respective second ribbon fiber outside of the housing. The assembly further comprises multiple optical fiber connectors each terminating a respective one of the first and second ribbon fibers.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: April 4, 2018
    Date of Patent: August 13, 2019
    Assignee: NORTHROP GRUMMAN SYSTEMS CORPORATION
    Inventors: Jason Krywicki, Gregg A. Robertson, Stephen E. Krug
  • Patent number: 9128309
    Abstract: An electroabsorption device includes an optical waveguide having an input portion with a first optical confinement characteristic. A first electroabsorption region is formed along the optical waveguide having a first optimized optical mode confinement characteristic. A second electroabsorption region is formed along the optical waveguide having a second optimized optical mode confinement characteristic independent of the first optimized optical mode confinement characteristic. The first optimized optical mode confinement characteristic is defined independently of the second optimized optical mode confinement characteristic.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: September 28, 2011
    Date of Patent: September 8, 2015
    Assignee: Lockheed Martin Corporation
    Inventor: Stephen Robertson
  • Patent number: 9002207
    Abstract: A compact photonic radio frequency front end receiver system including a laser chip source, radio frequency and LO inputs, an optical modulator chip coupled to the laser source and the radio frequency and LO inputs, a millimeter scale optical radio frequency multi-pole filter coupled to the optical modulator, an optical switch array chip coupled to the optical radio frequency multi-pole filter, and a detector chip coupled to the optical switch array, all with micro-optic coupling, heterodyne signal recovery, and wavelength locking.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: August 1, 2012
    Date of Patent: April 7, 2015
    Assignee: Lockheed Martin Corporation
    Inventors: Thomas W. Karras, Stephen Robertson, Arthur C. Paolella, William J. Taft
  • Patent number: 8452190
    Abstract: A signal processing system includes an input for receiving an input signal, a light source for generating an optical carrier signal having a pre-determined wavelength, a modulator for receiving the input signal and the optical carrier signal and modulating the optical carrier signal based upon the input signal, and an optical filter having a plurality of signal channels, wherein at least one of the signal channels is locked by a reinsertion of the optical carrier signal to pass signals having a wavelength substantially the same as the wavelength of the optical carrier signal.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: September 17, 2010
    Date of Patent: May 28, 2013
    Assignee: Lockheed Martin Corporation
    Inventors: Stephen Robertson, Thomas W. Karras
  • Patent number: 8355199
    Abstract: An optical filter is disclosed, including a first optical filter adapted to receive a first optical signal including an optical carrier frequency and a plurality of interference signal components. The first filter produces an output signal at the optical carrier frequency and a reflection signal. The output signal is split into a peak detection path signal and a re-insertion path signal. An optical power detector converts the peak detection path signal into an electrical control signal and aligns the optical carrier frequency to a resonance frequency of the first filter to maximize the power of the optical carrier frequency. A second optical filter receives the reflection signal and selects at least one spectral component while rejecting other spectral components and outputs a filtered signal that carries the selected spectral component. A signal combiner receives and combines the filtered signal and the re-insertion path signal.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: May 20, 2010
    Date of Patent: January 15, 2013
    Assignee: Lockheed Martin Corporation
    Inventors: Stephen Robertson, Thomas W. Karras
  • Patent number: 8266144
    Abstract: Techniques to perform relative ranking for search results are described. An apparatus may include an enhanced search component operative to receive a search query and provide ranked search results responsive to the search query. The enhanced search component may comprise a resource search module operative to search for resources using multiple search terms from the search query, and output a set of resources having some or all of the search terms. The enhanced search component may also comprise a proximity generation module communicatively coupled to the resource search module, the proximity generation module operative to receive the set of resources, retrieve search term position information for each resource, and generate a proximity feature value based on the search term position information.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: July 1, 2011
    Date of Patent: September 11, 2012
    Assignee: Microsoft Corporation
    Inventors: Vladimir Tankovich, Dmitriy Meyerzon, Michael Taylor, Stephen Robertson
  • Patent number: 8095559
    Abstract: Data structures, stored on various types of computer-readable media, include information related to user profiles and/or to various documents. The information included in these data structures is arranged and stored in manner that allows for rapid user profile updating to be performed as new or changed documents are processed in a document filtering system.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: February 27, 2009
    Date of Patent: January 10, 2012
    Assignee: Microsoft Corporation
    Inventors: Stephen Robertson, Stephen Walker, Justin Zobel
  • Publication number: 20110264660
    Abstract: Techniques to perform relative ranking for search results are described. An apparatus may include an enhanced search component operative to receive a search query and provide ranked search results responsive to the search query. The enhanced search component may comprise a resource search module operative to search for resources using multiple search terms from the search query, and output a set of resources having some or all of the search terms. The enhanced search component may also comprise a proximity generation module communicatively coupled to the resource search module, the proximity generation module operative to receive the set of resources, retrieve search term position information for each resource, and generate a proximity feature value based on the search term position information.
    Type: Application
    Filed: July 1, 2011
    Publication date: October 27, 2011
    Applicant: MICROSOFT CORPORATION
    Inventors: Vladimir Tankovich, Dmitriy Meyerzon, Michael Taylor, Stephen Robertson
  • Patent number: 8010535
    Abstract: Methods to enable optimization of discontinuous rank metrics are described. The search scores associated with a number of search objects are written as score distributions and these are converted into rank distributions for each object in an iterative process. Each object is selected in turn and the score distribution of the selected object is compared to the score distributions of each other object in turn to generate a probability that the selected object is ranked in a particular position. For example, with three documents the rank distribution may give a 20% probability that a document is ranked first, a 60% probability that the document is ranked second and a 20% probability that the document is ranked third. In some embodiments, the rank distributions may then be used in the optimization of discontinuous rank metrics.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: March 7, 2008
    Date of Patent: August 30, 2011
    Assignee: Microsoft Corporation
    Inventors: Michael J. Taylor, Stephen Robertson, Thomas Minka, John P. Guiver
  • Patent number: 7974974
    Abstract: Techniques to perform relative ranking for search results are described. An apparatus may include an enhanced search component operative to receive a search query and provide ranked search results responsive to the search query. The enhanced search component may comprise a resource search module operative to search for resources using multiple search terms from the search query, and output a set of resources having some or all of the search terms. The enhanced search component may also comprise a proximity generation module communicatively coupled to the resource search module, the proximity generation module operative to receive the set of resources, retrieve search term position information for each resource, and generate a proximity feature value based on the search term position information.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: March 20, 2008
    Date of Patent: July 5, 2011
    Assignee: Microsoft Corporation
    Inventors: Vladimir Tankovich, Dmitriy Meyerzon, Michael Taylor, Stephen Robertson
  • Publication number: 20090240680
    Abstract: Techniques to perform relative ranking for search results are described. An apparatus may include an enhanced search component operative to receive a search query and provide ranked search results responsive to the search query. The enhanced search component may comprise a resource search module operative to search for resources using multiple search terms from the search query, and output a set of resources having some or all of the search terms. The enhanced search component may also comprise a proximity generation module communicatively coupled to the resource search module, the proximity generation module operative to receive the set of resources, retrieve search term position information for each resource, and generate a proximity feature value based on the search term position information.
    Type: Application
    Filed: March 20, 2008
    Publication date: September 24, 2009
    Applicant: MICROSOFT CORPORATION
    Inventors: Vladimir Tankovich, Dmitriy Meyerzon, Michael Taylor, Stephen Robertson
  • Publication number: 20090228472
    Abstract: Methods to enable optimization of discontinuous rank metrics are described. The search scores associated with a number of search objects are written as score distributions and these are converted into rank distributions for each object in an iterative process. Each object is selected in turn and the score distribution of the selected object is compared to the score distributions of each other object in turn to generate a probability that the selected object is ranked in a particular position. For example, with three documents the rank distribution may give a 20% probability that a document is ranked first, a 60% probability that the document is ranked second and a 20% probability that the document is ranked third. In some embodiments, the rank distributions may then be used in the optimization of discontinuous rank metrics.
    Type: Application
    Filed: March 7, 2008
    Publication date: September 10, 2009
    Applicant: Microsoft Corporation
    Inventors: Michael J. Taylor, Stephen Robertson, Thomas Minka, John P. Guiver
  • Patent number: 7584221
    Abstract: A field-weighted search combines statistical information for each term across document fields in a suitably weighted fashion. Both field-specific term frequencies and field and document lengths are considered to obtain a field-weighted document weight for each query term. Each field-weighted document weight can then be combined in order to generate a field-weighted document score that is responsive to the overall query.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: March 18, 2004
    Date of Patent: September 1, 2009
    Assignee: Microsoft Corporation
    Inventors: Stephen Robertson, Hugo Zaragoza, Michael Taylor, Stefan Isbein Larimore, Mihai Petriuc
  • Publication number: 20090198676
    Abstract: Information retrieval systems such as web search systems locate documents amongst millions and even billions of possible documents on the basis of query terms. In order to achieve this document indexes are created. We propose creating new fields in the documents to store feedback information. This information comprises query terms used in a particular search as well as information about whether a particular document retrieved is given positive or negative feedback for example. Indexes are created on the basis of this feedback information in addition to other available information. As a result relevance of search results is improved. Multiple fields of information are available for given documents (such as abstract fields, title fields, anchor text fields as well as our feedback fields). Any search algorithm which deals with multiple fields as well as multiple query terms and which provides for differential weighting of document fields is used.
    Type: Application
    Filed: March 15, 2007
    Publication date: August 6, 2009
    Applicant: Microsoft Corporation
    Inventors: Michael J. Taylor, Stephen Robertson, Hugh E. Williams, Nicholas E. Craswell
  • Publication number: 20090198683
    Abstract: Data structures, stored on various types of computer-readable media, include information related to user profiles and/or to various documents. The information included in these data structures is arranged and stored in manner that allows for rapid user profile updating to be performed as new or changed documents are processed in a document filtering system.
    Type: Application
    Filed: February 27, 2009
    Publication date: August 6, 2009
    Applicant: Microsoft Corporation
    Inventors: Stephen Robertson, Stephen Walker, Justin Zobel
  • Patent number: 7516146
    Abstract: Data structures, stored on various types of computer-readable media, include information related to user profiles and/or to various documents. The information included in these data structures is arranged and stored in manner that allows for rapid user profile updating to be performed as new or changed documents are processed in a document filtering system.
    Type: Grant
    Filed: May 15, 2003
    Date of Patent: April 7, 2009
    Assignee: Microsoft Corporation
    Inventors: Stephen Robertson, Stephen Walker, Justin Zobel