Vehicle for receiving and delivering agricultural seeds and other granular material
A vehicle for receiving and delivering granular material, such as agricultural seeds, includes a frame supporting a container defining an open top chamber having a bottom outlet. An elongated conveyor is supported by a system which includes a first support arm having one end pivotally connected to a side wall of the container for multiple directional movement and a second support arm pivotably connected to the opposite end of the first support arm. The opposite end of the second support arm supports an intermediate portion of the conveyor near its center of gravity and in suspended relation for tilting and rotating the conveyor. Power actuators are connected to rotate and pivot the first support arm to position the conveyor in many selected positions including the conveyor inlet under the outlet of the chamber, a storage position and a position between horizontal and substantially inclined for filling other containers.
Latest J. & M. Manufacturing Co., Inc. Patents:
- Agricultural apparatus and method
- Vehicle for receiving and delivering agricultural seeds and other granular material
- System and method for controlling operation of a discharge conveyor on a grain cart
- Endless track assembly for supporting an implement or vehicle
- Endless track assembly for supporting an implement or vehicle
This invention relates to a vehicle for receiving and delivering seeds. In general, these vehicles are commonly referred to as Seed Tenders and include a container having one or more open top bins or chambers for receiving a type of seed or different types of seed and for delivering the seed to an agricultural seed planter that is usually pulled by a tractor for depositing the seeds in parallel rows formed within the ground. Commonly, the vehicle carries an elongated conveyor which can be positioned for receiving the seeds within each bin or chamber through a bottom outlet and for elevating and delivering the seeds to seed receiving compartments within the seed planter. The conveyor may also be positioned for receiving a supply of seeds at the ground level and conveying the seeds above the open top chambers of the vehicle for filling seeds into each chamber. Preferably, the elevator is stored and carried by the vehicle for conveniently using the conveyor to add seeds to the open top chambers of the vehicle and to deliver seeds from the vehicle to the seed planter.SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
The present invention is directed to an improved vehicle for receiving and delivering agricultural seeds or granular material to a planter and which includes a new support system for an elongated conveyor that may be easily maneuvered into many various positions including a position for filling grains into each vehicle chamber, a position for delivering seed from the bottom outlet of each chamber of the vehicle to different compartments of a seed planter, a variable position outboard of the vehicle for use as a separate independent conveyor as well as a storage position carried by and within the boundaries of the vehicle.
The conveyor support system of the invention includes a first elongated support arm having one end portion pivotally connected to one of the side walls of the vehicle container for movement of the first support arm in first and second directions. A second elongated support arm has one end portion pivotally connected to an opposite end portion of the first support arm for movement relative to the first support arm, and the second support arm has an opposite end portion connected to an intermediate portion of the conveyor preferably at its center of gravity and with the conveyor in suspended relation. The first support arm and the second support arm provide for pivoting and tilting movement of the conveyor in vertical and horizontal directions. Preferably, the first support arm is power operated to move or tilt in a horizontal direction and is also power operated to tilt in a vertical direction.
Other features and advantages of the invention will be apparent from the following description, the accompanying drawings and the appended claims.
A seed receiving container 30 is fabricated of sheet metal and includes upper side walls 32 and 34 and sloping or inclined bottom walls 36 and 38 which extend from the side walls and vertical end walls 41 and 42 to define an elongated open top chamber for receiving seed. As shown in
The seed tender vehicle 15 also supports an elongated seed conveyor 55 which has a material receiving end portion or hopper 58 at one end and a seed discharge outlet 62 at the opposite end. Preferably, the elongated conveyor 55 is constructed as disclosed in U.S. Pat. No. 9,096,376 which issued to the assignee of the present invention and includes an elongated tubular conveyor housing 65 enclosing a conveying member, such as a power operated elongated endless flexible conveyor belt for conveying seed through the tubular housing. However, other forms of seed conveyors may also be used, such as, for example, a power operated endless belt conveyor within a rectangular housing and with longitudinally spaced slats for holding the seed in place on the conveyor belt.
As shown in
In accordance with the present invention, the conveyor 55 is supported by a conveyor support system 85 (
As illustrated in
From the drawings in the above description, it is apparent that a seed tender vehicle constructed in accordance with the invention provides desirable features and advantages. For example, the conveyor support system 85 provides a wide selection for the position of the seed conveyor 55, for example from a substantially horizontal position outboard of the seed container 30 to a substantially inclined position where the discharge end 62 of the conveyor 55 is at an elevation substantially above the height of the seed receiving container 30. The construction of the conveyor support system 85, including the first support arm 90 and the second support arm 150 and the suspended and pivotal support of the conveyor 55 at substantially its center of gravity, provides these advantages and enable the seed conveyor 55 to be moved manually to many positions without using the power actuator 105 and/or 125. However, when it is desired to elevate the conveyor 55 to a substantially inclined position, as shown in
While the form of seed tender vehicle herein described constitutes a preferred embodiment of the invention, it is to be understood that the invention is not limited to this precise form of vehicle, and that changes may be made therein without departing from the scope of the invention as defined in the appended claims.
1. A vehicle for receiving and discharging granular material comprising:
- a frame supporting a container having walls including opposite side walls defining an open top chamber for receiving the material, the container also having a bottom outlet with a closure for discharging the material,
- an elongated conveyor having a conveyor housing enclosing a moveable conveying member, the conveyor having a material receiving end portion at one end and a discharge outlet at the opposite end,
- a support system for the conveyor and including a base support member connected to an upper portion of one of the side walls of the container,
- a first support arm including an upper elongated arm member and a lower elongated arm member in parallel spaced relation, with each elongated arm member having opposite end portions pivotally connected to opposite end members for pivotal movement of each elongated arm member relative to each end member,
- one of the end members of the first support arm pivotally connected to the base support member and supporting the one end portion of the first support arm for vertical and horizontal movement,
- a substantially horizontal elongated second support arm having one end portion pivotally connected to an opposite end member of the first support arm for horizontal movement of the second support arm relative to the first support arm,
- the horizontal elongated second support arm having an opposite end portion coupled to and supporting an intermediate portion of the conveyor housing in suspended relation at substantially the center of gravity of the conveyor and providing for pivotal and rotational movement of the conveyor in vertical and horizontal directions relative to the second support arm,
- a power actuator connected to the upper arm member and the lower arm member of the first support arm and operable to move the first support arm, the second support arm and the conveyor in a vertical direction, and
- the support system including the first support arm and the horizontal second support arm providing for moving the conveyor between a storage position adjacent the container, an inclined unloading position with the material receiving end portion of the conveyor located under the outlet of the container, an inclined loading position with the discharge outlet of the conveyor located above the open top container, and an inclined position spaced laterally outwardly from the vehicle.
2. A vehicle as defined in claim 1 wherein the power actuator is located between the parallel elongated arm members of the first support arm and is pivotally connected to both of the arm members.
3. A vehicle as defined in claim 1 and including a power actuator adjacent the base support member and connected by a rack and sprocket to rotate the first support arm, the second support arm and the conveyor in a horizontal direction.
|5718556||February 17, 1998||Forsyth|
|5888044||March 30, 1999||Baskerville|
|7267519||September 11, 2007||Cresswell et al.|
|7488149||February 10, 2009||Waldner|
|8221047||July 17, 2012||Petersen et al.|
|8931995||January 13, 2015||Fitzgerald et al.|
|8967940||March 3, 2015||Petersen et al.|
|9096376||August 4, 2015||Wood et al.|
|9333892||May 10, 2016||Johnson|
|9392742||July 19, 2016||Boston|
|9539927||January 10, 2017||Fitzgerald et al.|
Filed: Mar 9, 2017
Date of Patent: Dec 11, 2018
Patent Publication Number: 20180257536
Assignee: J. & M. Manufacturing Co., Inc. (Fort Recovery, OH)
Inventor: James E. Wood (Fort Recovery, OH)
Primary Examiner: Saul Rodriguez
Assistant Examiner: Ashley K Romano
Application Number: 15/454,061