CUSHION WITH INTEGRAL PROTECTIVE COVERING
Camping gear has a storage bag permanently attached thereto which provides an internal storage chamber for receiving and storing the camping gear therein when the gear is in a collapsed position. A pocket is secured to a surface of the gear and the storage bag is secured at one end within the pocket and stored therein when not in use. Prior to placing the camping gear in the collapsed position, the storage bag is pulled from the pocket and is either rolled over the collapsed gear for placing the gear within the storage chamber or the collapsed gear is inserted into the storage chamber of the bag through an elongated opening formed in the bag. An opening can be formed in one end of the bag for inserting the gear into the storage chamber and is closed by a drawstring. A handle or strap is attached to the storage bag for carrying the camping gear after being placed in the storage bag. Alternatively, the invention is a cushion having an integral waterproof protective covering permanently attached to the cushion. The protective covering includes and opening communicating with a storage chamber formed within the protective covering, and wherein the cushion is insertable through the opening and into the storage chamber.
This application is a continuation-in-part of U.S. patent application Ser. No. 12/238,948, filed Sep. 26, 2008; the disclosure of which is incorporated herein by reference.BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
1. Technical Field
The invention relates to storage devices and in particular to a self-contained storage device securely attached to an article such as a piece of camping gear. Even more particularly, the invention relates to camping gear having a storage bag affixed to the gear for storing the camping gear within the bag after the camping gear has been placed into a collapsed position. Alternatively, the invention relates to a seat cushion having a waterproof protective covering affixed to the cushion for selectively protecting the cushion from water.
2. Background Information
Camping items and sports event items are used intermittently and usually must be hand carried to and from the camping area or sporting event. Items such as sleeping bags and collapsible chairs or seats generally have a separate storage or carrying bag in which the sleeping bag or chair is stored when in a collapsed position which could include a handle or strap for ease in carrying the item. These carrying and storage bags must be kept nearby when the sleeping bag or chair is in use so that when the user is finished with the item and it is collapsed, it can then be reinserted into the storage bag.
This storage bag occasionally becomes lost or misplaced making it extremely difficult to carry the item, especially folding chairs to and from the event. It also requires that a new bag be used for the sleeping bag to prevent it from becoming damaged or soiled by the terrain and environment to which it is exposed if the original bag is lost.
Therefore there is a need for a storage and transportation bag for various articles and in particular, for camping gear such as sleeping bags, tents, folding chairs, etc. which is permanently attached to the gear and which is easily utilized for placement about the gear without excessive manipulation of the gear and protective carrying and storage bag.
In addition to storage, it may be necessary to provide protection from weather elements for various outdoor articles, such as outdoor furniture seat cushions. Seat cushions are often left on outdoor furniture during inclement weather and may become water-logged and moldy from this exposure. Due to the low weight and balloon-like structure of typical protective coverings, wind may blow the protective covering away. Therefore there is a need for a protective covering which is permanently attached to various articles and in particular, for an outdoor seat cushion which has a non-waterproof outer layer.BRIEF SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
One aspect of the present invention is to provide a type of camping gear such as a sleeping bag, tent, folding chair etc. with a storage and carrying bag that is permanently attached to the piece of gear preventing its loss or misplacement when not used, for subsequent storing and carrying the particular piece of gear after being folded into a collapsed position.
Another feature of the present invention is to provide such a piece of camping gear in which the storage and carrying bag attached thereto is easily pulled from a protective pocket formed or attached to the piece of camping gear. Afterwhich the bag is inverted and rolled over the collapsed camping gear and secured in a closed position by various types of fasteners. Alternately, the storage bag can be provided with an elongated opening for insertion of the camping gear into the storage chamber formed by the bag afterwhich the elongated opening is securely closed.
A further aspect of the present invention is to provide the storage bag with carrying handles or straps to facilitate manually carrying the stored piece of gear to and from a camping site or sporting event.
A further feature of the present invention is to secure a pocket onto the back of the seat of a foldable sporting chair or on an outside surface of the sleeping bag in which the storage bag is secured, such as by stitching within the interior of the pocket, enabling the bag to be pulled from the pocket into an elongated extended position, with one end of the bag being open and the opposite end being closed and secured in the pocket. After the elongated bag is pulled from the pocket and elongated, it is inverted and rolled over the sleeping bag, tent, camping chair or the like. The opening is then secured preferably by a drawstring, Velcro® fastener, etc.
These objectives and advantages of the present invention are obtained by camping gear which is movable between an expanded usable position and a collapsed storage position; and which has a storage bag permanently attached to the camping gear that has an end opening communicating with a storage chamber formed within said bag, and wherein the camping gear is insertable through the bag opening and into the storage chamber when in the collapsed position.
One aspect of another embodiment of the present invention is to provide a protective covering affixed to a seat cushion to provide an encasement to protect the seat cushion from weather elements. The protective covering may be a bag-like structure having one closed end of the bag affixed to the seat cushion, and an open opposite end for encasing the seat cushion.
Another aspect of this embodiment is to provide a waterproof protective covering affixed to a non-waterproof outer layer of a seat cushion.
Another feature of this embodiment of the present invention is to provide a storage chamber formed within the protective covering to selectively encase the seat cushion.
A further aspect of this embodiment is to provide a pocket on the outer layer of the seat cushion, to provide a storage area for the protective covering.
These features and advantages of this further embodiment of the present invention are obtained by a seat cushion with an integral protective covering, and comprising a padding surrounded by a case and a protective covering permanently attached to the case, wherein the protective covering includes an opening communicating with a storage chamber formed within the protective covering, and wherein the cushion is insertable through the opening and into the storage chamber.
A preferred embodiment of the invention, illustrated of the best mode in which Applicant contemplates applying the principles, is set forth in the following description and is shown in the drawings and is particularly and distinctly pointed out and set forth in the appended claims.
Similar numbers refer to similar parts throughout the drawings.DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE INVENTION
One type of camping gear incorporating the features of the present invention is a sleeping bag indicated generally at 1, and shown in
In accordance with one of the features of the invention, a pocket indicated generally at 13 is secured such as by stitching to outer shell 3, preferably in a lower corner of the sleeping bag adjacent closed end 4. Pocket 13 will have an opening 15 and preferably will have some type of closure therefore such as a hook and pile Velcro® fastener, snaps or similar closure devices.
In accordance with another aspect of the invention, a storage bag indicated generally at 17 (
When the storage bag of the present invention is used with sleeping bag 1, pocket 13 retains storage bag 17 therein when in a collapsed or folded secured position without affecting the manner of use of sleeping bag 1 nor adding any appreciable weight or bulk thereto. After the sleeping bag has been used, the camper usually will fold the sleeping bag in half as shown in
Storage bag 17 and pocket 13 can be formed of various materials such as nylon or other synthetic materials, and if desired, storage bag 17 could be formed of a water impervious or resistant material to further protect the sleeping bag from rain or snow when stored therein as shown in
A modified form of the present invention is shown particularly in
In accordance with one of the features of the invention, a storage pocket 47 is secured by sewing, an adhesive etc., to a back surface 46 of back support 43. Pocket 47 has an opening 48 into which is secured a storage bag 49 as shown in
The features and manner of use of storage bag 49 which is attached to chair 35 is similar to that of storage bag 17 and sleeping bag 1, and is shown particularly in
Again the procedure for storing chair 35 is similar to that of storage of sleeping bag 1 within storage bag 17. That is, storage bags 17 and 49 are easily pulled outwardly from their respective storage pockets 13 and 47 and then are inverted and rolled along collapsed sleeping bag 1 and chair 35 respectively, until completely enclosing the bag and chair within the respective storage chambers, afterwhich the open ends of the bags are fully or partially closed by use of drawstrings 27 and 53.
A slightly modified form of the chair storage bag is shown in
After bag 60 has been pulled outwardly from pocket 47 to a fully extended position as shown in
It is readily understood by referring to
In summary, the camping gear of the present invention, whether it be a sleeping bag or chair as shown in the drawings and described below, or a backpacker's tent or similar piece of camping equipment, will have its own self-contained and permanently attached storage bag which also functions as a carrying bag for the gear when collapsed into a compact storage condition. The bag is either folded into itself or placed in a separate storage pocket which is permanently attached to the camping gear, with the storage bag being permanently attached either directly to the camping gear itself or to the interior of the pocket. The bag is easily pulled out and rolled over the collapsed camping gear and closed by a drawstring, Velcro® fastener or other types of closure devices to provide a very compact piece of camping equipment stored or other portable article stored within its own outer protective bag, which bag also functions as the means for carrying the article. The bag preferably will have an elongated tubular configuration having a length slightly greater than the length of the article when in a folded position to completely enclose the article as shown in
It is also readily understood that although the invention is described above with respect to a sleeping bag and chair for camping equipment, it also could be used for other types of portable equipment, articles or the like, not necessarily used for camping, wherein it is desired to provide a device which is easily collapsible, preferably into an elongated configuration, so as to be stored within the storage bag. Furthermore, the storage bag could have a more rectangular shape which would not require the complete collapsing of an article prior to folding the extended storage bag over the device for storage.
Another embodiment of the invention is shown in
As shown in
Once protective covering 117 is fully removed from within pocket 113, it is inverted to encase cushion 100 in the method shown in
The inverting of protective covering 117 further creates a storage chamber 129, in which cushion 100 is inserted. As shown in
If desired, carrying handles similar to carrying handle 55 or 67 as shown in
It is readily understood by referring to
It is readily understood that protective cover 117 may be used to prevent water from penetrating cushion 100. As such, protective cover 117 preferably is formed from a waterproof material, and case 102 may be formed from a non-waterproof material.
In the foregoing description, certain terms have been used for brevity, clearness, and understanding. No unnecessary limitations are to be implied therefrom beyond the requirement of the prior art because such terms are used for descriptive purposes and are intended to be broadly construed.
Moreover, the description and illustration of the invention is an example and the invention is not limited to the exact details shown or described.
1. A cushion with an integral protective covering comprising:
- a cushion; and
- a protective covering permanently attached to the cushion, wherein the protective covering includes an opening communicating with a storage chamber formed within the protective covering, and wherein the cushion is insertable through the opening and into the storage chamber.
2. The cushion defined in claim 1 wherein the protective covering includes a closure for closing the opening of the protective covering after the cushion is inserted into the storage chamber.
3. The cushion defined in claim 2 wherein a pocket is affixed to the cushion, and wherein the protective covering is securely attached within the pocket and is expandable therefrom for receiving the cushion.
4. The cushion defined in claim 3 wherein the protective covering has an elongated configuration with first and second opposed ends, wherein the first end is secured within the pocket and wherein the opening is formed in the second end of the protective covering.
5. The cushion defined in claim 3 wherein the cushion is formed of a non-waterproof material, and the protective covering is formed of a waterproof material.
6. The cushion defined in claim 1 further comprising a carrying strap attached to the protective covering.
7. The cushion defined in claim 1 wherein the opening is an elongated opening extending along the protective covering, and wherein a closure extends along at least a portion of the opening.
8. The cushion defined in claim 7 wherein the closure is one of a drawstring and Velcro® extending about the opening of the protective covering for closing the opening when the cushion is in the storage chamber.
9. A combination seat cushion and protective covering, wherein the seat cushion comprises:
- a padding; and
- a case surrounding the padding, wherein the case is formed of a non-waterproof material; and
- the protective covering is formed of a waterproof material and permanently attached to the case, wherein the protective covering includes an opening communicating with a storage chamber formed within the protective covering, and wherein the seat cushion is insertable through the opening and into the storage chamber.
10. The article defined in claim 9 wherein the protective covering includes a closure for closing the opening after the seat cushion has been inserted into the storage chamber.
11. The combination defined in claim 10, further comprising a pocket affixed to the case, whereby the protective covering is securely attached within the pocket, and wherein the protective covering is expandable therefrom for receiving the seat cushion.
12. The combination defined in claim 9, further comprising a carrying strap attached to the protective covering for carrying the seat cushion when the seat cushion is in the storage chamber.
13. The combination defined in claim 9 wherein the protective covering has an elongated configuration with a length greater than a length of the seat cushion, and whereby the seat cushion is completely enclosed within the protective covering.
14. A method of removably encasing a cushion within a protective covering comprising the steps of:
- providing a protective covering securely attached to the cushion and forming an internal storage chamber;
- expanding the protective covering to an elongated configuration;
- inverting the expanded protective covering and pulling the protective covering over the cushion to place the cushion in the storage chamber.
15. The method defined in claim 14 including the steps of providing an end opening in a free end of the expanded protective covering; and closing said end opening by a drawstring after the cushion has been placed in the storage chamber.
16. The method defined in claim 14 including the steps of providing the cushion with a pocket secured to an external surface of the cushion; securing a first end of the protective covering to the cushion; and storing the protective covering within the pocket until the protective covering is expanded into the elongated configuration and pulled over the cushion.
17. The method defined in claim 16 including the step of providing a carrying strap on the protective covering.
18. The method defined in claim 16 including the step of forming the protective covering of a waterproof material.
Filed: May 19, 2009
Publication Date: Apr 1, 2010
Applicant: DAN DEE MARKETING LTD. (Collingwood)
Inventors: Graham Mottram (Collingwood), Robert G. Dickie (King City)
Application Number: 12/468,148
International Classification: A45C 15/00 (20060101);