Chrysanthemum plant named ‘PPP PAD WH05’
A new and distinct Chrysanthemum plant cultivar is disclosed, characterized by large decorative type inflorescences, consistent flowering response to short days, blooming consistently after 49 days of short day length, white ray florets, free branching habit, and a consistent natural season flowering habit during the first week of September.
Latin name of the genus and species: Chrysanthemum morifolium.
Variety denomination: ‘PPP PAD WH05’.
BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
The new cultivar ‘PPP PAD WH05’ is a product of an induced mutation of the parent Chrysanthemum plant variety ‘GEDI TWO PAD’ (U.S. Plant Pat. No. 14,501) using gamma ray treatment at a dose of 20 Gy. The new cultivar was discovered and selected by Dirk Pieters in September 2002 in Oostnieuwkerke, Belgium.
Asexual reproduction of the new cultivar ‘PPP PAD WH05’ by terminal cuttings and tissue culture was performed in Oostnieuwkerke, Belgium, and has shown that the unique features of this new cultivar are stable and reproduced true to type on successive generations.
SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
The cultivar ‘PPP PAD WH05’ has not been observed under all possible environmental conditions. The phenotype may vary somewhat with variations in environment such as temperature, daylength, and light intensity, without, however, any variance in genotype.
The following traits have been repeatedly observed and are determined to be the unique characteristics of ‘PPP PAD WH05’. These characteristics in combination distinguish ‘PPP PAD WH05’ as a new and distinct Chrysanthemum cultivar:
- 1. Large decorative type inflorescence;
- 2. Consistent flowering response to short days, blooming consistently after 49 days of short day length;
- 3. Free branching habit; and
- 4. Consistent natural season flowering habit during the first week of September.
Plants of the new cultivar are similar to plants of the parent variety, ‘GEDI TWO PAD,’ in most horticultural characteristics, however the new cultivar ‘PPP PAD WH05’ is shorter than the parent and has more ray florets. Additionally, the new variety ‘PPP PAD WH05’ has different color ray florets than the parent ‘GEDI TWO PAD’ and has a more apparent disc than the parent.
In comparison to the commercially available variety ‘GEDI ONE TER’ (U.S. Plant Pat. No. 13,885), ‘PPP PAD WH05’ shows disc florets with age. Additionally, the new variety ‘PPP PAD WH05’ naturally blooms one week later than the comparable variety. Further, the new variety ‘PPP PAD WH05’ has more inflorescence per flowering branch and has less ray florets per inflorescence than the comparable variety ‘GEDI ONE TER.’
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE PHOTOGRAPH
The accompanying photograph in
DETAILED BOTANICAL DESCRIPTION
In the following description, color references are made to The Royal Horticultural Society Colour Chart except where general terms of ordinary dictionary significance are used. The following observations and measurements describe ‘PPP PAD WH05’ plants grown in Oxnard, Ventura County, Calif., during the month of September 2004. The growing temperature ranged from 12° C. to 15° C. at night to 12° C. to 20° C. during the day. Measurements and numerical values represent averages of typical flowering types.
- Botanical classification: Chrysanthemum morifolium cultivar ‘PPP PAD WH05’.
- Commercial classification: Garden-type Chrysanthemum.
- Time to rooting: 7 to 14 days at approximately 21° C.
- Root description: Fine, fibrous.
- Growth habit: Mounding herbaceous perennial.
- Height: Approximately 28 cm.
- Plant spread: Approximately 32 cm.
- Growth rate: Moderate.
- Branching characteristics: Free Branching.
- Length of lateral branches: Approximately 25 cm.
- Number of leaves per lateral branch: Approximately 20.
- Age of plant described: Approximately 146 days.
- Arrangement.—Alternate single.
- Average length.—Approximately 5.4 cm.
- Average width.—Approximately 3.5 cm.
- Shape of blade.—Ovate.
- Texture of top surface.—Lightly pubescent.
- Texture of bottom surface.—Lightly pubescent.
- Leaf internode length.—Approximately 1.2 cm.
- Color.—Young foliage upper side: Near Green 137A. Young foliage under side: Near Green 138A. Mature foliage upper side: Near Green 138A. Mature foliage under side: Near Green 138A.
- Venation.—Type: Palmately net. Venation color upper side: Near Green 138C. Venation color under side: Near Green 138C.
- Average length.—Approximately 2.4 cm.
- Color.—Near Green 138B.
- Diameter.—Approximately 0.8 cm.
- Flowering habit.—Induced by darkness period greater than 13.5 hours, approximately 49 days of appropriate day length required to induce and develop blooms.
- Inflorescence form.—Decorative.
- Natural flowering season.—Approximately the first week in September.
- Number of inflorescences per lateral branch.—Approximately 21.
- Inflorescence diameter.—Approximately 4.8 cm.
- Inflorescence depth.—1.8 cm.
- Inflorescence longevity on plant.—Approximately 25 days.
- Ray florets:
- Average number of ray florets per inflorescence.—155.
- Length.—Approximately 2.2 cm.
- Width.—Approximately 1 cm.
- Color.—Upper surface at first opening: Near White 158D. Upper surface at maturity: Near White 155D. Upper surface at fading: Near White 158C. Under surface at first opening: Near White 155D. Under surface at maturity: Near White 155D. Under surface at fading: Near White 158C.
- Disc florets:
- Average number of florets per disc.—Approximately 20.
- Average length.—Approximately 0.7 cm.
- Average width.—Approximately 0.2 cm.
- Color.—At first opening: Near Yellow 13B. At maturity: Near Yellow 20A. At fading: Near Yellow 22A.
- Length.—At terminal end (shortest): Approximately 3.7 cm. At lateral end (longest): Approximately 7.7 cm.
- Angle to stem.—Acute.
- Color.—Near Green 137C.
- Diameter.—4 cm.
- Surface texture.—Lightly pubescent.
- Inflorescence bud:
- Length.—Approximately 1 cm.
- Diameter.—Approximately 1 cm.
- Color.—Near Yellow Orange 20D.
- Involucral bracts (phyllaries):
- Texture.—Lightly pubescent.
- Number.—Approximately 20.
- Length.—1 cm.
- Width.—0.8 cm.
- Color.—Upper side: Near Green 137A. Under side: Near Green 137A.
- Ray florets:
- Number of pistils per floret.—1.
- Stigma shape.—2 branched.
- Stigma color.—Near Yellow 17C.
- Style color.—Near Yellow 2B.
- Style length.—0.6 cm.
- Disc florets:
- Number of pistils per floret.—1.
- Stigma shape.—Cylindric.
- Stigma color.—Near Yellow 13B.
- Style length.—0.5 cm.
- Style color.—Near Yellow Green 154A.
- Number of stamens per floret.—Approximately 5.
- Anther shape.—Tubular.
- Anther color.—Near Yellow 13A.
- Pollen color.—Near Yellow 15A.
- Disease resistance: Neither resistance nor susceptibility to diseases or pests has been observed in this variety.
- Drought tolerance/ cold tolerance: Flowering plants are hardy to low temperatures about −2° C. Non-flowering plants are hardy in the approximate range of 3° C. to −6° C., depending upon duration of cold and amount of moisture in the soil. With adequate water plants are hardy to a high temperature of 45° C.
- Fruit/seed production: Commercially, this plant is not used or observed in a stage where seeds would be produced. Therefore, seed production has not been observed.
1. A new and distinct cultivar of Chrysanthemum plant named ‘PPP PAD WH05’ as herein illustrated and described.
Filed: Apr 27, 2005
Date of Patent: May 22, 2007
Patent Publication Number: 20060248621
Assignee: Pieters Plant Production, BVBA a Belgian Corporation (Oosnieuwkerke)
Inventor: Dirk Pieters (Ooostnieuwkerke)
Primary Examiner: Kent Bell
Assistant Examiner: Annette H Para
Attorney: Albert O. Cota
Application Number: 11/115,703
International Classification: A01H 5/00 (20060101);