plant named ‘Balcimoa’
A new and distinct cultivar of Solenostemon plant named ‘Balcimoa’, characterized by its mixed yellow, green, and red-colored foliage, incised foliage, and vigorous, upright growth habit.
Latest Ball Horticultural Company Patents:
Latin name of genus and species of plant claimed: Solenostemon scutellarioides.
Variety denomination: ‘Balcimoa’.
BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
The present invention relates to a new and distinct cultivar of Solenostemon plant botanically known as Solenostemon scutellarioides and hereinafter referred to by the cultivar name ‘Balcimoa’.
The new cultivar originated in a controlled breeding program in Cartago, Costa Rica during January 2004. The objective of the breeding program was the development of Solenostemon cultivars with unique foliage coloration and leaf shape, upright growth habit, and good sun tolerance.
The new Solenostemon cultivar is the result of cross-pollination. The female (seed) parent of the new cultivar is ‘Duck's Foot’, not patented, characterized by its medium scarlet-colored foliage and upright growth habit. The male (pollen) parent of the new cultivar is a WIZARD mixed pollen source, not patented, having plants with green, red, magenta, yellow-green, and scarlet red-colored foliage and upright growth habit. The new cultivar was discovered and selected as a single flowering plant within the progeny of the above stated cross-pollination during November 2004 in a controlled environment at Cartago, Costa Rica.
Asexual reproduction of the new cultivar by terminal stem cuttings since November 2004 at Cartago, Costa Rica and West Chicago, Ill. has demonstrated that the new cultivar reproduces true to type with all of the characteristics, as herein described, firmly fixed and retained through successive generations of such asexual propagation.
SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
The following characteristics of the new cultivar have been repeatedly observed and can be used to distinguish ‘Balcimoa’ as a new and distinct cultivar of Solenostemon plant:
- 1. Mixed yellow, green, and red-colored foliage;
- 2. Incised foliage; and
- 3. Vigorous, upright growth habit.
Plants of the new cultivar differ from plants of the female parent primarily in foliage color and from plants of the male parent primarily in foliage color, leaf margin, and growth habit. The male parent is compact with a crenate leaf margin.
Of the many commercially available Solenostemon cultivars, the most similar in comparison to the new cultivar is Indian Summer ‘Balcinsu’, U.S. Plant patent application Ser. No. 11/809,818. However, in side by side comparisons, plants of the new cultivar differ from plants of ‘Balcinsu’ in at least the following characteristics:
- 1. Plants of the new cultivar have a leaf margin different from plants of ‘Balcinsu’; and
- 2. Plants of the new cultivar have a foliage color different from plants of ‘Balcinsu’.
In addition, plants of the new cultivar can be compared to plants of Henna ‘Balcenna’, U.S. Plant Pat. No. 19,180. Plants of the new cultivar differ from plants of ‘Balcenna’ in at least the following characteristics:
- 1. Plants of the new cultivar have a leaf margin different from plants of ‘Balcenna’; and
- 2. Plants of the new cultivar have a foliage color different from plants of ‘Balcenna’.
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE PHOTOGRAPHS
The accompanying photographs show, as nearly true as it is reasonably possible to make the same in color illustrations of this type, typical foliage characteristics of the new cultivar. Colors in the photographs differ slightly from the color values cited in the detailed description, which accurately describes the colors of ‘Balcimoa’. The plants were grown in 4.5 inch pots for 5 weeks in a greenhouse at West Chicago, Ill. Plants were given one pinch a week before transplant.
DETAILED BOTANICAL DESCRIPTION
The new cultivar has not been observed under all possible environmental conditions to date. Accordingly, it is possible that the phenotype may vary somewhat with variations in the environment, such as temperature, light intensity, and day length, without, however, any variance in genotype.
The chart used in the identification of colors described herein is The R.H.S. Colour Chart of The Royal Horticultural Society, London, England, 2001 edition, except where general color terms of ordinary significance are used. The color values were determined on Apr. 23, 2008 between 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. under natural light conditions in West Chicago, Ill.
The following descriptions and measurements describe plants produced from cuttings from stock plants and grown in a glass-covered greenhouse under conditions comparable to those used in commercial practice. The plants were grown at West Chicago, Ill. in 4.5 inch pots for 5 weeks utilizing a soilless growth medium. Plants were given one pinch a week before transplant. Greenhouse temperatures were maintained at approximately 70° F. to 77° F. (21° C. to 25° C.) during the day and approximately 65° F. to 68° F. (18° C. to 20° C.) during the night. Greenhouse light levels of 2,500 footcandles to 6,000 footcandles were maintained during the day. Measurements and numerical values represent averages of typical plants.
- Botanical classification: Solenostemon scutellarioides cultivar Balcimoa.
- Female parent.—‘Duck's Foot’, not patented.
- Male parent.—WIZARD mixed pollen source, not patented.
- Type cutting.—Terminal stem.
- Time to initiate roots.—Approximately 4 to 6 days.
- Time to produce a rooted cutting.—Approximately 21 to 24 days.
- Root description.—Fibrous.
- Rooting habit.—Freely branching.
- Plant description:
- Commercial crop time.—Approximately 5 to 7 weeks from a rooted cutting to finish in a 10 cm pot.
- Growth habit and general appearance.—Vigorous, upright.
- Size.—Height from soil level to top of plant plane: Approximately 14.0 cm. Width: Approximately 25.0 cm.
- Branching habit.—Freely branching, pinching improves basal branching. Quantity of lateral branches per plant: Approximately 5.
- Branch.—Strength: Strong. Shape: Square in cross section. Length of lateral branch: Approximately 12.4 cm. Diameter of lateral branch at central internode: Approximately 5.0 mm. Length of central internode of lateral branch: Approximately 2.4 cm. Texture: Densely pubescent. Pubescence color: 187B. Color of young and mature stems: 187A.
- Foliage description:
- General description.—Quantity of leaves per main stem: Approximately 8. Fragrance: None. Form: Simple. Arrangement: Opposite.
- Leaves.—Aspect: Acute angle to stem; leaf blade transitions to an obtuse angle with age. Shape: Obovate. Margin: Incised. Apex: Obtuse. Base: Attenuate. Venation pattern: Pinnate. Length of mature leaf: Approximately 9.1 cm. Width of mature leaf: Approximately 7.2 cm. Texture of upper surface: Rugose, densely pubescent. Texture of lower surface: Rugose, sparsely pubescent with dense pubescence on venation. Color of upper surface of young foliage: Irregular distribution of 11A, 144A and 187B with venation of 187B. Color of lower surface of young foliage: Irregular distribution of 11B, 144C and 187B with venation of 187C. Color of upper surface of mature foliage: Irregular distribution of 11C, 137B, 187B and 187D. Venation is indistinguishable from lamina. Color of lower surface of mature foliage: Irregular distribution of 11D, 138B, 187C and N187B. Venation is 187C or indistinguishable from lamina.
- Petiole.—Length: Approximately 1.9 cm. Width: Approximately 2.5 mm. Texture: Densely pubescent. Pubescence color: 187B. Color: 187A.
- Flowering description: Flowers are ornamentally insignificant for this variety. No flowers were observed in this trial.
- Seed and fruit production: Neither seed nor fruit production has been observed.
- Disease and pest resistance: Resistance to pathogens and pests common to Solenostemon has not been observed.
1. A new and distinct cultivar of Solenostemon plant named ‘Balcimoa’, substantially as herein shown and described.
- Canada Plant Breeders' Rights Application No.08-6205 filed Feb. 28, 2008 http://www.inspection.gc.ca.
International Classification: A01H 5/00 (20060101);