plant named ‘LANZ0015’
A new Lantana plant named ‘LANZ0015’ having large sized tri-color, yellow, orange and red flowers, excellent floriferousness, and uniform dense spreading habit with medium green foliage.
Latest Syngenta Participations AG Patents:
Latin name of the genus and species of the plant claimed: Lantana camara L.
Varietal denomination: ‘LANZ0015’.BACKGROUND OF THE NEW PLANT
The present invention comprises a new Lantana, botanically known as Lantana camara L., and hereinafter referred to by the variety name ‘LANZ0015’.
‘LANZ0015’ is a product of a planned breeding program. The new cultivar ‘LANZ0015’ has large sized tri-color, yellow, orange and red flowers, excellent floriferousness, and uniform dense spreading habit with medium green foliage.
‘LANZ0015’ originates from an open hybridization in an outdoor field in July 2011 in Gilroy, Calif., USA. The female parent was identified as ‘LCE0689-1’, a unpatented propriatary breeding line, having cherry red flower color and smaller more compact growth habit than ‘LANZ0015’. The male parent is unknown.
The seed was sown in December 2011 in a greenhouse in Gilroy, Calif. and ‘LANZ0015’ was selected as one flowering plant within the progeny of the stated cross in March 2012.
The first act of asexual reproduction of ‘LANZ0015’ was accomplished when vegetative cuttings were propagated from the initial selection in June 2012 in a greenhouse in Gilroy, Calif.BRIEF SUMMARY OF INVENTION
Horticultural examination of plants grown from cuttings of the plant initiated in June 2012, in Gilroy, Calif., and continuing thereafter, has demonstrated that the combination of characteristics as herein disclosed for ‘LANZ0015’ are firmly fixed and are retained through successive generations of asexual reproduction.
‘LANZ0015’ has not been observed under all possible environmental conditions. The phenotype may vary significantly with variations in environment such as temperature, light intensity, and day length.
‘LANZ0015’ has not been made publicly available prior to the effective filing date of this application, notwithstanding any disclosure that may have been made less than one year prior to the effective filing date of this application by the inventor or another who obtained ‘LANZ0015’ directly from the inventor.
The following traits have been repeatedly observed and are determined to be basic characteristics of the new variety. The combination of these characteristics distinguishes this Lantana as a new and distinct variety.
The accompanying photographic drawings show typical flower and foliage characteristics of ‘LANZ0015’ with colors being as true as possible with an illustration of this type.
The photographic drawings show in
The plant descriptions and measurements were taken in Gilroy, Calif. in September 2016. The plants were approximately 6 months old and were growing in 14 inch pots in the outdoor field.
The aforementioned photographs show those same plants as used for the description were taken in Gilroy, Calif. in May 2016 and show 3 month old plants from an indoor trial.
Color references are made to The Royal Horticultural Society Colour Chart (R.H.S.) 2001.
- Form, growth and habit.—Semi-woody, grown as an annual or perennial; compact and dense mounding habit; very well branched.
- Plant height.—25-30 cm.
- Plant height (inflorescence included).—30-37 cm.
- Plant width.—95-105 cm.
- Immature, leaf color, upper surface.—RHS 137A.
- Lower surface.—Closest to RHS 137C.
- Mature, leaf color, upper surface.—RHS 139A.
- Lower surface.—Closest to RHS 137C.
- Length.—5.3-7.8 cm.
- Width.—3.2-4.3 cm.
- Base shape.—Attenuate.
- Apex shape.—Acute.
- Texture, upper.—Hirsute.
- Texture, lower surface.—Hirsute.
- Pattern of veining.—Pinnate.
- Petioles color.—RHS 137C.
- Petioles length.—1.1-2.2 cm.
- Diameter of petiole.—0.15-2.0 cm.
- Texture (upper and lower surface).—Hirsute with some very short glandular hairs.
- Color of stem.—RHS 138B.
- Length of stem.—34-40 cm.
- Diameter.—0.2-0.6 cm.
- Length of internodes.—3.0-7.5 cm.
- Texture.—Pilose, hirsute.
- Type.—Umbel like, flattened semi-sphere the florets are sessile on an ovate receptacle.
- Blooming habit.—Flowers continuously from spring through fall.
- Number of open flowers per inflorescence.—About 30.
- Quantity of inflorescences per plant.—About 250-325.
- Lastingness of individual blooms on the plant.—About 4 weeks (depending on temperatures).
- Fragrance.—Slightly spicy.
- Umbel horizontal diameter.—3.8-4.4 cm.
- Umbel vertical height.—1.6-1.8 cm.
- Peduncle color.—RHS 137D.
- Length of peduncle.—3.5-5.1 cm.
- Peduncle diameter.—0.1 cm.
- Texture.—Hirsute, glandular hairs.
- Floret form.—Corolla salver-shaped to shallow cup-shaped, with a relatively long tube at the base; each flower subtended by a single bract.
- Length of floret.—0.8-1.1 cm.
- Width of floret.—0.8-0.9 cm.
- Depth of floret.—1.8 cm.
- Young floret, color upper surface.—RHS 15C in center, RHS 44B edge.
- Young floret, color lower surface.—RHS 15C and RHS 45A.
- Mature florets, color upper surface.—RHS 15B overlain with RHS 44A.
- Mature floret, color lower surface.—RHS 46A and RHS 16 and RHS 185C intermingled.
- Apex shape.—Slightly mucronulate.
- Degree of lobation.—Moderate.
- Texture, upper surface.—Papillose.
- Lower surface.—Papillose.
- Tube, color outer surface.—Closest to RHS 46B and RHS 3D.
- Tube, color inner surface.—RHS 3D and RHS 44B overlain with RHS 15D.
- Tube, length.—1.3-1.4 cm.
- Tube, diameter (at opening).—0.1 cm.
- Tube, texture outer surface.—Pubescent.
- Inner surface.—Hirsute.
- Bud (just before opening):
- Color.—RHS 59C.
- Length.—0.7-0.8 cm.
- Width.—0.2 cm at the apex.
- Shape.—Tubular with a flared apex.
- Color.—Closest to RHS 138A with a RHS 137A apex.
- Length.—0.6-0.9 cm.
- Diameter.—0.15-0.2 cm.
- Texture, upper surface.—Hirsute.
- Lower surface.—Hirsute.
- Number of sepals.—5, fused sepals forming a short tube around the base of the floret.
- Color of sepals.—RHS 145A.
- Length of sepals.—0.2-0.3 cm.
- Width of sepals.—0.1 cm.
- Apex shape.—Obtuse.
- Apex margins.—Entire.
- Texture, outer surface.—Pubescent.
- Inner surface.—Glabrous.
- Reproductive organs:
- Pistil quantity.—One.
- Length.—0.35 cm.
- Style color.—RHS 159D.
- Style length.—0.2 cm.
- Stigma color.—RHS 144B.
- Ovary color.—RHS 144A.
- Ovary length.—0.1 cm.
- Ovary diameter.—0.05 cm.
- Stamen quantity.—4.
- Color of filaments.—RHS 159D.
- Length filaments.—0.05 cm.
- Anther color.—RHS 164A.
- Length of anthers.—0.1 cm.
- Color of pollen.—RHS 10D.
- Pollen amount.—Normal.
- Fertility/seed set.—Average.
- Disease/pest resistance.—Has not been determined to date.
1. A new and distinct variety of Lantana plant named ‘LANZ0015’ substantially as illustrated and described herein.
International Classification: A01H 5/02 (20180101);