plant named ‘MOGI TWO’
A new and distinct Mandevilla cultivar named ‘MOGI TWO’ is disclosed, characterized by short internodes, dark pink flowers, glossy foliage. Plants tolerate heat well and flower abundantly. The new variety is a Mandevilla, typically produced as an indoor ornamental plant.
Latest Oglesby Plants International, Inc Patents:
Latin name of the genus and species: Mandevilla hybrida.
Variety denomination: ‘MOGI TWO’.BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION
The new cultivar is a product of a planned breeding program. The objective of the breeding program was to develop new Mandevilla varieties with vigorous plant habits suitable for commercial production. The new variety originated from a cross pollination of an unnamed proprietary, unpatented seed parent and the pollen parent, a different, unnamed proprietary, unpatented Mandevilla. The crossing was made during March 2013.
The new variety was discovered by the inventor, Marian Osiecki in the Summer of 2014 in a group of seedlings resulting from the crossing. The new cultivar was found in a commercial greenhouse in Altha, Fla.
Asexual reproduction of the new cultivar ‘MOGI TWO’ was first performed at a commercial laboratory in Altha, Fla. by terminal vegetative cuttings in August 2014. Subsequent propagation by tissue culture has shown that the unique features of this cultivar are stable and reproduced true to type in successive generations.SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION
The cultivar ‘MOGI TWO’ has not been observed under all possible environmental conditions. The phenotype may vary somewhat with variations in environment such as temperature, day length, and light intensity, without, however, any variance in genotype.
The following traits have been repeatedly observed and are determined to be the unique characteristics of ‘MOGI TWO’. These characteristics in combination distinguish ‘MOGI TWO’ as a new and distinct Mandevilla cultivar:
- 1. Dark pink flowers.
- 2. Moderately vigorous plants
- 3. Good heat tolerance.
- 4. Short internodes.
- 5. Abundant flowering.
- 6. Dense branching.
- 7. Suitable for trellis production or hanging baskets.
Plants of the new cultivar ‘MOGI TWO’ are similar to the seed parent in most horticultural characteristics. The new variety, however, differs in the following:
- 1. Plants of the new variety are denser and bushier than plants of the seed parent.
- 2. ‘MOGI TWO’ produces darker pink flowers than the seed parent.
- 3. ‘MOGI TWO’ produces glossier foliage than the seed parent.
Plants of the new cultivar ‘MOGI TWO’ are similar to the pollen parent in most horticultural characteristics. Plants of the new variety however differ in the following:
- 1. ‘MOGI TWO’ is less vigorous than the pollen parent.
- 2. ‘MOGI TWO’ produces dark pink flowers, the pollen parent produces red flowers.
‘MOGI TWO’ can be compared to the commercial variety Mandevilla ‘Alice Dupont’, unpatented. Plants of ‘Alice Dupont’ are similar to plants of ‘MOGI TWO’ in most horticultural characteristics, however, plants of ‘MOGI TWO’ differ in the following:
- 1. The new variety produces much darker pink flowers.
- 2. Plants of ‘MOGI TWO’ are much denser and bushier.
- 3. ‘MOGI TWO’ produces more flowers than this comparator.
‘MOGI TWO’ can also be compared to the commercial variety Mandevilla ‘Sumandecripi’ U.S. Plant Pat. No. 18,578. Plants of ‘Sumandecripi’ are similar to plants of ‘MOGI TWO’ in most horticultural characteristics, however, plants of ‘MOGI TWO’ differ in the following:
- 1. The new variety produces flowers of a darker pink than this comparator.
- 2. Plants of ‘MOGI TWO’ flower more abundantly than plants of this comparator.
- 3. Plants of ‘MOGI TWO’ are denser and bushier than this comparator.
The accompanying photograph in
The photographs were taken using conventional techniques and although colors may appear different from actual colors due to light reflectance it is as accurate as possible by conventional photographic techniques.DETAILED BOTANICAL DESCRIPTION
In the following description, color references are made to The Royal Horticultural Society Colour Chart 2007, except where general terms of ordinary dictionary significance are used. The following observations and measurements describe ‘MOGI TWO’ plants grown in a climate controlled greenhouse in Altha, Fla., USA. Temperatures ranged from 20° C. to 25° C. at night to 25° C. to 32° C. during the day. No artificial light, photoperiodic treatments were given to the plants. Measurements and numerical values represent averages of typical plant types.
- Botanical classification: Mandevilla hybrida ‘MOGI TWO’.
- Time to initiate roots: About 15 days at approximately 30° C. in the summer. About 25 days at 18° in the winter.
- Time to produce a rooted cutting: About 50 days at 20 to 30° C.
- Root description: Freely branching and white-brown in color. Not accurately measured with R.H.S. chart.
- Growth habit: Vining evergreen flowering plant. Initially upright, then vining, requiring support to maintain upright habit. Typically, plants are pinched approximately 3 months after planting a rooted cutting to encourage branching.
- Age of plant described: 10 months.
- Container size: 3 gallon.
- Height: Approximately 102 cm.
- Plant spread: Approximately 92 cm.
- Growth rate: Moderate.
- Branching characteristics: Moderate branching occurs after pinch.
- Length of primary lateral branches: Approximately 42 cm.
- Diameter of lateral branches: Approximately 0.7 cm.
- Lateral branch color: Near RHS Grey-Brown 199A.
- Internode length: Approximately 7.5 cm.
- Stem texture: Glabrous.
- Arrangement.—Opposite, simple.
- Average length.—Approximately 9.8 cm.
- Average width.—Approximately 5.4 cm.
- Shape of blade.—Elliptic.
- Apex.—Acute to Cuspidate.
- Base.—Cordate to Obtuse.
- Texture of top surface.—Glabrous. Shiny.
- Texture of bottom surface.—Glabrous. Matte.
- Leaf internode length.—Approximately 3.4 cm.
- Color.—Young foliage upper side: Near RHS Green 137A. Young foliage under side: Near RHS Green 138B. Mature foliage upper side: Near RHS Green 139A. Mature foliage under side: Near RHS Green 138A.
- Venation.—Type: Pinnate. Venation color upper side: Near RHS Yellow-Green 144A. Venation color under side: Near RHS Yellow-Green 139A.
- Petiole.—Average Length: Approximately 1.6 cm. Color: Near RHS Yellow-Green 144C. Diameter: Approximately 0.24 cm. Texture: Glabrous.
- Natural flowering season: Naturally flower summer through late Autumn.
- Inflorescence type and habit: Single salverform flower; terminal or axillary; flowers face mostly outward.
- Rate of flower opening: Approximately 6 days from bud to fully opened flower.
- Flower longevity on plant: 4 to 5 days, after fully opened. Self-cleaning.
- Quantity of flowers: Free flowering, young plants have at least 20 to 40 flowers at all times.
- Inflorescence size:
- Diameter.—Approximately 8.4 cm.
- Length.—Approximately 6.4 cm.
- Corolla tube length.—Approximately 6.0 cm.
- Corolla tube diameter.—Average 8 mm.
- Corolla tube texture.—Glabrous.
- Throat diameter.—Approximately 1.8 cm.
- Petal arrangement.—Single whorl of 5 imbricate petals, fused into flared trumpet
- Size.—Lobe Length: 3.3 cm. Lobe Width: 3.0 cm.
- Apex.—Rounded, slightly undulate.
- Texture.—Smooth, velvety.
- Petals.—When opening: Upper surface: Near RHS Red 53B. Lower surface: Near RHS Red 53D. Fully opened: Upper surface: Near RHS Red 53C. Lower surface: Near RHS Red 53D. Tube color (interior): Near RHS Orange 26A. Tube color (exterior): Near RHS Green-White 157A with streaks near RHS Red 53D. Throat color: Near RHS 12A. Color Changes when Aging: Color becomes lighter, near RHS Red 54A.
- Shape.—Ovate to Lanceolate.
- Length.—Approximately 7.9 cm.
- Diameter.—Approximately 1.2 cm.
- Color.—Near RHS Yellow-Green 145C at base; near RHS Green-White 157A with streaks near RHS Red 53D in middle; near RHS Red 53D at apex.
- Arrangement.—5 per flower in a single whorl; fused.
- Shape.—Narrowly deltoid.
- Length.—Approximately 0.8 cm.
- Width.—Approximately 0.2 cm.
- Texture.—Smooth, waxy.
- Color.—Upper surface: Near RHS Yellow-Green 145B. Lower surface: Near RHS Yellow-Green 145C.
- Length.—Approximately 1.3 cm.
- Width.—Approximately 0.2 cm.
- Aspect.—Almost straight.
- Strength.—Flexible and strong.
- Color.—Near RHS Yellow-Green 145C.
- Fragrance: Very faint, pleasant fragrance.
- Number.—5, anthers fused together at tips, filaments fused to corolla.
- Anther length.—0.9 cm.
- Anther color.—Near RHS Yellow 4D.
- Anther shape.—Oblong.
- Pollen.—None observed.
- Length.—Approximately 2.9 cm.
- Style color.—Near RHS White 155D.
- Stigma.—Shape: Globular. Color: Near RHS Greyed-Green 193B. Ovary color: Near RHS Green 138D.
- Disease resistance: Improved resistance to normal diseases of Mandevilla have been observed.
- Drought tolerance and cold tolerance: Tolerates temperatures from approximately 0° C. to 40° C. and does not tolerate drought.
- Fruit/seed production: Not observed.
1. A new and distinct cultivar of Mandevilla plant named ‘MOGI TWO’ as herein illustrated and described.
International Classification: A01H 5/02 (20180101); A01H 6/08 (20180101);