Process for improved quality of CVD copper films
Latest Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. Patents:
- Port separation for rotary bed PSA
- Gas atmosphere control in laser printing using metallic powders
- Method And Apparatus For Controlling The Nitriding Potential Of A Nitriding, Nitro-Carburizing Or Carbonitriding Atmosphere
- METHOD AND SYSTEM FOR COOLING A HYDROCARBON STREAM
- Method and apparatus for producing a hydrogen-containing product
2. A method according to claim 1 wherein the substrate is heated to a temperature of between 120.degree. C. and 350.degree. C.
3. A method according to claim 1 wherein the CVD reactor is maintained at a pressure of between 10 mTorr and 100 Tort.
4. A method according to claim 1 wherein the vapors of the copper (I) organometallic precursor compound are introduced via an inert carrier gas selected from the groups consisting of helium, argon, nitrogen, neon, xenon, krypton and mixtures thereof introduced into the CVD reactor at a rate of from 1 sccm to 1000 sccm.
6. A method according to claim 1 wherein the copper (I) organometallic precursor compound is 1,1,1,5,5,5-hexafluoro-2,4 pentanedionato copper (I) trimethyivinylsilane and the ligand is 1,1,1,5,5,5-hexafluoro-2,4-pentanedione.
|5085731||February 4, 1992||Norman et al.|
|5094701||March 10, 1992||Norman et al.|
|5098516||March 24, 1992||Norman et al.|
- D. A. Roberts, et al., "The LPCVD of Tungsten by the Diethylsilane/H2 Reduction of WF6". J. A. T. Norman, et al., "A New Metal-Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition Process of Selective Copper Metallinition". pp. 87-92. F. A. Houle, et al., "Surface Processes Leading to Carbon Contamination of Photochemically Deposited Copper Films". pp. 2452-2458 (1986). C. Oehr, et al., "Thin Copper Films by Plasma CVD Copper Hexafluoro-Acetylacetonato" (1988) pp. 151-154. D. Temple, et al., "Chemical Vapor Deposition of Copper From Copper (II) Hexafluoroacetylacetonate" pp. 3525-3529. Rudy L. Van Hemert, et al. "Vapor Deposition of Metals by Hydrogen Reduction of Metal Chelates" pp. 1123-1126 (1965). D. B. Beach, et al., "Low-Temperature Chemical Vapor Deposition of High-Purity . . . " pp. 216-219 (1990) ACS. W. G. Lai, et al., "Atmospheric Pressure Chemical Vapor Deposition of Copper Thin Films" (1991) vol. 138, No. 11, pp. 3499-3504. N. Awaya, et al., "Deposition Mechanism of Copper CVD" (1992). pp. 345-354. P. M. Jeffries, et al., "Chemical Vapor Deposition of Copper and Copper Oxide Thin Films . . . " (1989). pp. 8-10. C. R. Moylan, et al., "LCVD of Copper: Deposition Rates and Deposit Shapes" pp. 1-5, Appl. Phys. A 40, 1-5 (1986). C. R. Jones, et al., "Photochemical Generation and Deposition of Copper from Gas Phase Precursor" (1985). pp. 97-99. A. E. Kaloyeros, et al., "Low-Temperature Metal-Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition . . . " (1989). pp. 271-276. T. Ohba, et al., "Deposition and Properties of Blanket-W Using Silane Reduction" (1990). pp. 273-279. T. Ohba, et al., "Selective Chemical Vapor Deposition of Tungsten Using Silane . . . " (1989), pp. 17-24. P. V. Andrews, et al., "The Effect of Grain Boundaries on the Electrical Resistivity . . . " (1968), pp. 887-897. Jain, et al., "Chemical Vapor Deposition of Copper from Hexafluoroacetylacetonato Copper (I) Vinyltsimethylsilane" J. Electrochem. Soc., vol. 140, No. 5, May 1993. pp. 1434-1439. Donnelly, et al., "Copper Metalorganic Chemical Vapor Deposition Reactions of Hexafluoroacetylacetonate Cu(I) Vinyltrimethylsilane and bis (hexafluroracetylacetonate) Cu(II) adsorbed on titanium nitride" J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 11(1), Jan./Feb. 1993, pp. 66-77.
Filed: Jun 20, 1996
Date of Patent: Sep 23, 1997
Assignee: Air Products and Chemicals, Inc. (Allentown, PA)
Inventors: John A. T. Norman (Encinitas, CA), Arthur K. Hochberg (Solana Beach, CA), David A. Roberts (Escondido, CA)
Primary Examiner: Roy V. King
Attorney: Geoffrey L. Chase
Application Number: 8/667,254